Friday, August 3, 2007

New Life, New Look

Life is starting to get back to normal, but I have to say that I still feel a little brain-drained after the bar exam. I'm surprised at how much the bar impacted me physically and mentally. When it was all said and done, I found myself a little softer and fatter than when I went in and thirsting to do something creative and use a different part of my brain. This week, I exercised and started paying close attention to what I eat. I just want to feel normal again. Of course, I realize that other life events are more exhausting and demanding (e.g. having kids), but the exam coupled with the job search made life pretty stressful.

Since I have a new life and am starting my next adventure, I thought I should change my look. The answer: cutting and coloring my hair. I'm really happy with the results but it's a little weird to reach back looking for long hair and finding almost nothing. Take a look:


Side View of the 'Do
During the haircut, my stylist and I were talking about the cultural importance of hair. We talked about the story of Samson and Delilah where hair was associated with strength and favor from God. We talked about Native American cultures that cut hair as a sign of mourning and the movie Water where Hindu widows ritualistically shave their heads. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. Finally, how can you forget Britney Spears' head shaving incident. Now that I think about it, cutting your hair is really something negative in most cultures. Weird. For me, I like the idea of cutting my hair off when I want to start afresh and make a major change in my life.

Going along with the "moving forward" theme, I'm really happy to have my life back and start doing things I did either before or early in law school. This weekend, the Nonerick clan is heading for the hills. We're packing up our Subaru and going camping and hiking in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness , which is one of our favorite spots. Hopefully, we'll have some great photos to share from our weekend away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the new look, Darcy!! It looks so good. Congrats on finishing the bar exam. We were thinking of you. :) Jen and Todd