Monday, July 2, 2007

30 Is The New 7

Yesterday, I left behind my twenties to become a member of the thirty-something club. In the weeks leading up to my birthday, many people told me that age has become increasingly irrelevant--a thought that suggests turning 30 is a bad thing. In the same vein, I can't help but laugh at the fact that the Desperate Housewives set the cultural norm on how women should age. Apparently, the Housewives make "40 the new 30". Setting aside the likelihood of plastic surgery, unhealthy dieting, or just good genes that make the cast look fabulous at 40, I think the 40/30 comparison is not a "one size fits all" equation. I propose a new difference where 30 is the new 7. I don't know about you, but I still like to make flatulence jokes, laugh at men who get hit in the crotch, and learn about the world. The only difference between now and my childhood is that I set the rules within the confines of grown-up responsibilities. Not bad if you ask me...

For my birthday, we went to a local Ethiopian restaurant for dinner and then came back to our place for an amazing chocolate raspberry cake and wine. Thank you to all our friends who joined us for a few laughs and some good eats.

***WARNING*** The rest of this post may be offensive to some... You Are Warned!

For those who missed it, look out for our new band, Prolific Vah-Jay-Jay, to release it's first album, No Douchebags Allowed, next year. We need to learn how to play a few instruments and get our interpretive dance choreographed for our first world tour before we make it big.

No comments: