Sunday, January 13, 2008

Watching Eagles From a Raft

Today I went to the Skagit River for a rafting/bald eagle viewing trip. The trip was affiliated with my new job at American Rivers, a nonprofit that specializes in river conservation and protection. It was a great experience and a great way to reconnect with why the reasons I do my job.

Another great thing about the trip was the weather. It was gorgeous and sunny with lots of mountains in view. Here's a peek:

The parking lot at the put-in.
It looked a lot colder than it was.


Topping off the boats and getting life jackets on to prepare for launch.


A view from the river.
A cloud clings to the snow line of a distant mountain.


Five bald eagles of various ages warming themselves in the trees.
We saw 110 bald eagles during the 2 hour float trip.


Taking in the serene beauty of the river.



I tried to take some footage of an adult bald eagle feeding on some salmon. At the end of the clip, it gets a little choppy because I lost sight of the eagle in the sun. Notice the great snow capped mountains in the background. Stunning!

Ryan stayed home to babysit Soma and watch the Giants/Cowboy game. Go Giants!

No comments: