Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Resolutions (Including a Blog Upgrade)

Earlier tonight, Ryan and I talked about our resolutions. Here's my list:

1. Focus on fitness and health (cliche but relevant in the post-baby world)
2. Do my best in all aspects of life (e.g., motherhood, work, wife-hood) and don't beat up on myself or others for not being perfect
3. Engage in at least one fun adventure every month (e.g., a hike, river float, or artsy excursion)
4. Expand our blog to include our favorite recipes and food finds

I would like to briefly explain my rationale behind each of these resolutions, so bear with me.

Fitness and Health: Pregnancy was my first ever introduction to obesity. For the first time in my life, I reached a weight considered to be obese for my height. My body aches more than it used to, and I don't feel strong. The proof is in the picture below, which while taken two weeks after I gave birth, shows the true magnitude of my recovery.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not beating myself up or looking for compliments (see resolution #2). In fact, I'm proud of myself because I've lost about 30 pounds from my highest pregnancy weight, 15 since Arlo was born. However, I think many women have a hard time recovering from having a baby and adjusting to their new bodies. I also think we don't talk about it openly and honestly. We all aspire to be the woman who is in a bikini a month or two after giving birth, but 99.9% of us will not reach that aspiration (remind me to tell you about the new mom with a 4 month old, a perfect body, and a string bikini at Arlo's first swimming lesson). And cosmetic surgery isn't an option for most of us.

Frankly, it's natural to be a little more "insulated" than before having a baby. Pregnancy is a journey and the recovery is a journey too. As a mom, I want to do my best to take care of myself both to improve my quality of life and provide a good example for Arlo. Of course, I'm not seeking perfection, just goodness, whatever that means.

Resolutions 2 and 3 are pretty self explanatory, so I'll jump right to resolution #4.

While reflecting on a tremendous year, I started looking at some of my favorite blogs. Of course, I started with my good friend's blog, Plums in the Path. Then, I went to Cannelle et Vanille, Diggin Food, 101 Cookbooks, and a few others and noticed that I really like food blogs. I also, not surprisingly, like to cook and eat (see picture above).

In thinking about the obvious connections between my resolutions and my love for food blogs, I will add food entries, recipes, and other fun tidbits to our blog this year. I will also provide some observations -- hopefully all clever and entertaining -- about reclaiming my body. I hope you enjoy the new stuff.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darcy!! So happy to find your blog! Your son is adorable! Congratulations on wedding and baby! And I love your new year's resolutions! I just got back the christmas card I sent you- wrong address. I think this has happened every year for past 5 years??! Are you on Facebook? I couldn't find you. But would love to get in touch and get your current address. Please contact me on FB or by email: petersjoan@bellsouth.net. hugs,
Joan