Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Decisions and Art Projects

The last month or so have been crazy for Ryan and I. In addition to hosting visitors from the east coast, putting in new duct work for our basement remodel, cheering on our new MLS soccer team (the Sounders), and managing the grounds of our estate, I have been dealing with some career-related questions.

Back in late June, I found out that my position was being reduced to 60% time starting in mid July. The economic downturn has been hard for lots of folks, so I consider myself lucky to still have a job at all. On the plus side, I have Thursdays and Fridays off, so I have more time to catch up on things like reading, painting, and projects around the house.

A few days after I received the news of my time cut, I was recruited for another position with another organization. It's been a long and hard decision, but today I decided to stay at my current job because of some very interesting longer term opportunities in policy work.

During the stressful job decision process and with extra time on my hands, I decided to transform a cheap piece of Ikea furniture into a sophisticated "antique." Here is the before and after:


BEFORE

AFTER

I've learned a couple of things about myself this month. First, I have a clearer vision of what I want for my career in the near-term. Second, the fumes from painting projects are good for self medicating and reducing stress, which probably explains Martha Stewart's professional success. Finally, I've officially become "old" because antiquing furniture is more therapeutic than drinking with friends, dancing all night, and passing out just short of your front door. I can live with doing old lady things, but I'm a little disappointed that painting furniture leaves you just as dirty as drinking excessively and sleeping in or near your own bodily fluids.

Ryan and I are off to my organization's annual river trip this weekend. We're very excited to get on the river and for the traditional "Costume Night." This year's theme is a tribute to John Hughes and his movies. Ryan is dressing as Cousin Eddie from the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation movie (picture him in a robe because "the shitter's full"). I was planning on going as the principal from the movie "Uncle Buck" with a huge mole on her face, but tonight I found the same outfit that Cousin Eddie's wife, Catherine, wore at Christmas dinner at our local thrift store, so now we have a couple's costume.

Stay tuned for pictures!

1 comment:

J.E.D. = John, Ellie, and Dakota said...

Good job on the "antique" project. It looks authentic!