Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Geez! Take a picture!

Now that my belly is huge, I'm noticing that strangers tend to fixate on my abdomen. Friends who have kids told me about the belly touching phenomenon, and I prepared myself for that invasion of personal space. (Just for the record, most strangers haven't been so bold as to touch my baby bump without asking.) However, I didn't anticipate the stares, focused glances, and obvious belly assessments. I have to say, it's a little weird.

A lot of folks smile and are very nice about it, but I can't help but panic for a moment or two thinking that I've probably met the person and should recognize them -- a normal response to such nonverbal cues. Then, I remember that I'm knocked up and that they are clearly smiling at my "condition". I wonder how many people are smiling because they are happy for me versus smiling because of thoughts like, "Oh honey. I hope you know what you're in for."

I wonder if asking them directly why they are staring and/or smiling at me would come off as rude. Hmmm...

No comments: