Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oregon Whitewater

Here is an entry that I posted on the American Rivers blog:

This weekend, the Northwest Office of American Rivers enjoyed a staff river trip down the beautiful Lower Deschutes River. One of Oregon’s “Wild and Scenic” rivers, the Deschutes is known for amazing whitewater, incredible wildlife, epic fishing, and stunning views.

Nearly ten years ago, I was a whitewater raft guide in California. After that experience, I returned to school and, frankly, thought my days of river life were over. The academic in me took over, and for years I was in a classroom learning about the tools in law and policy that could be used to save the rivers I loved.

When I was asked to guide the paddle boat for our staff trip on the Deschutes, I have to admit that I was pretty nervous. I wasn’t sure if guiding a raft would be like riding a bike. Sure, I grew up in Montana; I guided trips on Class III and IV whitewater in California; and I rafted incredible rivers like the Penobscot and the Middle Green River near Seattle, but riding as a passenger is different than guiding. (For proof of my recent adventures, visit the Middle Green River Coalition website and photos by MGRC co-founder Lisa Parsons of the Green River Clean Up in May.) My anxiety was amplified because I started with American Rivers last December and didn’t want to disappoint my wonderful colleagues by dumping them into the frigid spring-fed water.

I’m happy to report that our overnight trip from Macks Canyon to Heritage Landing was a truly memorable and relaxing experience. The rapids were great fun but low key with room to recover if you were slightly off your line. Most of the rapids were mellow Class II wave trains with four Class III rapids in the last seven miles of the river. One of my favorite rapids was Colorado Rapid, which presented a nice big wave that, with the help of my fine crew, we hit straight on and with lots of splash. I can’t think of a better way to cool off on an eighty degree day.

My husband, who had never rafted on whitewater before, was so inspired by the Deschutes that we conspired to buy a boat so that we can get out on the river regularly. I beamed when he told me, “You were really in your element out there.” Needless to say, it’s good to be back and to know that the river never leaves your system!

Special thanks to the fine folks at All Star River Rentals in Maupin, Oregon, for gear and excellent service. Check out All Star if you are interested in guided trips or rental services in Oregon!


1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Hi Darcy,
Love keeping up with you and Ryan on your great life in Seatle. The walkway project is beautiful and your River Trip looked outstanding! How can I e-mail you?
Rosemary