Sunday, August 3, 2008

Let's capitalize on the "new house" energy while it lasts!


Not surprisingly, we've been busy getting settled in the new place. In the photos immediately after moving in, we showed you how our table looked tiny in the dining room. The solution? Buy a new dining table of course! We've put it to good use having friends over for dinner and hosting a fun night with my coworkers.

Ryan and I have also been busy cleaning up our side garden area. First, my friend, Amy (a master gardener), spent a day helping me take out an old "raised" bed -- it was only 2 or 3 inches higher than ground level -- and put together an herb garden. Then, we cleared out what seemed like an endless amount of weeds and overgrown grasses. Ryan helped me build 8-inch high raised beds and redo the drip irrigation system. Today, we finished the project by planting some fall veggies including kale, broccoli, chard, and golden beets.

A few things we learned from this experience: 1. Ryan is not nearly as enthusiastic about Swanson's nursery as I am; 2. gardening is my new therapy to teach me patience and the art of "chillaxing"; and 3. Soma is like a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to the plants in our herb garden. Needless to say, we put up some low fencing to keep him out.

Stay out, Soma!


My awesome potting bench a la Amy and Byron.
The bench is a little too clean for my taste...


That's better!


New raised beds with lots of veggies and some creeping Elfin thyme near the walkway.


Another view of the garden


Ryan working hard on the new drip irrigation system


Behold the glory of Ryan's hard work!


I wondered why my lillies were looking a little flat.


Hurray! A second round of blooms coming from some of our 10 rose plants!


A sign of good things to come!

1 comment:

CH said...

Hi Darcy,

I have been saying I would check out updates to your blog for a while and just did. I forgot what it was called and was combining odd versions of your last names!

Anyway, so cute and I would like to see more Soma content.

Candace