Sunday, May 27, 2007

I just wanted to add my observations of Sasquatch. Here is the list of performers that we saw in order from earliest to latest:

  • Mix Master Mike

  • The Saturday Knights

  • The Hold Steady

  • Ozomatli

  • Neko Case

  • Citizen Cope

  • Grizzly Bear

  • Long Winters (in place of MIA who was kept out of the country for some reason)

  • Manu Chao

  • The Arcarde Fire

  • Bjork


Ok, now for my very biased musical critique.

I will start with what I thought was good: The Arcade Fire were far and away the best band we saw. I cannot say enough about seeing them live - so, that is all that I will say. Manu Chao were suprisingly entertaining; they have this crazy combination of reggae/ska, mariachi, and punk. Finally, The Hold Steady, and their brand of pop-punk-dance music, gave a good performance. And, their keyboard player was sporting a handle-bar moustache that was just plain awesome.

Now onto the not-so-good: this will probably get me labeled as having "low-brow" musical tastes, but I just do not understand Bjork. Sure, there was a huge, lavish stage and equally visual costumes that featured a brass-section dressed like teletubbies, but the music just does not draw me in. Her songs were slow and boring. Speaking of which, Citizen Cope was clearly popular with the crowd but inspired me to try and take a nap. Finally, Grizzly Bear is nothing like its name implies - there are a lot of trippy sounds and strange lyrics that do not translate well to a festival setting (unless, of course, your festival includes a lot of funny smelling "cigarettes").

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you guys liked Arcade Fire. They are on my "must see" list because i've heard that there live shows are incredible due to the craziness of having so many people on stage at once. Their ensemble of people create a unique sound like no other. Yessirr

Mom and Dad said...

We've never heard of Arcade Fire. Are they the progeny of Earth, Wind & Fire?

Mom and Dad